Choir Notices 13 Dec 2017
Next Wednesday is the concert. Please arrive at the church around 3.45 so we can start rehearsal 4.00 until 5.00. If you have a stall please arrive by 3.15 to get set up. Sally is the coordinator.
The concert starts at 6.30. Please be ready by 6.20. The Three Horseshoes, Llanvaes offers food and a roaring fire. Their phone no. is 01874 622874.
Parking is at Llanfaes School.
Ladies in usual black long with something in red for decoration. Men please wear suits, white shirts and red bow ties.
Please present your food on plates (with your name underneath)
Last but by no means least please bring a Raffle Prize if possible.
Not quite – a Very Happy Christmas and New Year to you all. Have a great time, and enjoy the Conce
Choir Notices 6 Dec 2017
Please let your voice rep know if you will be singing at the Carol concert on 20th December, we need to know numbers by next Wednesday.
Gents to wear black suits, white shirts and red bow ties, ladies usual black with a red scarf or red bling.
Afternoon rehearsal starts at 4 p.m. concert at 6.30 p.m. There will probably not be enough time for many members go home so bring a snack or you could go to the Three Horseshoes pub in Llanfaes, Ruth will let them know to expect some of us in the pub.
Parking is available in the Llanfaes School car park.
Choir Notices 29 Nov 2017
The notices this week were a reminder of last week’s notices. Please read through again if necessary.
Please note that rehearsal next week won’t start until 7.45. Alan will be our ‘director’ for the night.
The quiz team who entered the quiz in Llangors last week in the name of the choir, all three of them, did very well and got 82/100. Good publicity for the choir as well. Very well done
Choir Notices 22 Nov 2017
Veronika apologised that we had no prior warning that we were in the chapel tonight, at least it was warm.
Those members who make items and want to start selling them prior to the Carol Concert, they may bring them and set up their stall from 6th December, maybe arriving at 7.00 to give time before the rehearsal.
On the 6th December Robert won’t be available to take the rehearsal so Alan has kindly offered to take it. Due to a previous commitment he has asked that we arrive a little later, to commence at 7.45.
Thank you all those who sang on Saturday, we made a good impression. Robert was pleased.
On Friday 24 November, there will be a quiz with a supper (for £10) in Llangorse Village Hall in aid of Cancer. It is hoped that we can put in a Brecon Singers Team, although it is very short notice.
The Bonus Ball was won by Paul Hanson.
We are pleased to welcome a new soprano Lis Lifford who is new to the area. Please make her welcome, as always.
Choir Notices 15 Nov 2017
As mentioned last week, we are singing in Wellington Square on the 18th November. We are now assembling at 2.20 for a 2.30 start (NOT 2.00 as previously advised). No uniform, wrap up warm, bright colours would be fun. We finish at 2.50. Please do try to come.
The list, in no particular order, and at Rob’s discretion will be:
O Come all ye Faithful , Page 54 v 1,2,3,6,descant
Ding Dong Merrily on High, Page 82
Once in Royal Royal , Page 260, v1,2,5,6
Away in a Manger, Page 61
Hark the Herald, Page 102, v1,2,3 descant
While Shepherds’ Watch, page 378
Maybe, Infant Holy, page192
We wish you a Merry Christmas, Page 164, v 1 only
Dates for your diary:
On 25 November, Crickhowell are singing Dvorak Mass in D in the Cathedral, at 7.30
On 10th December The Unicorn Singers are presenting an Advent Concert in the Catholic Church in Abergavenny at 8.00
On 20th December we have are Carols and Canapes, maybe at St David’s Church at 6.30
On 24th February Robert is running a Workshop from 10.35. Working on movements from Mendelssohn’s Elijah.
May 12th will be our Spring Concert. Robert’s planning a lovely programme
Choir Notices 08 Nov 2017
· Please don’t forget your poppy, to be worn on your left shoulder please.
· We are delighted to welcome extra tenors in particular, and all those who will be joining us.
· Please be at the cathedral by 2.00 on Saturday to get our seating in order. The rehearsal will commence at 2.30 until 5.00. Please be ready lined up to go ‘on stage’ at 7.15 promptly, having noticed who you’re sitting between at the rehearsal.
· We are hoping that we will be able to park at Priory School again, please do watch the website for further advice.
· It is hoped that you have remembered to advise Penny Ashby if you require a meal at Pilgrims between rehearsal and concert.
· We will be singing on Saturday the 18th November on the stage in Wellington Square between 2.00 and 2.20, for the occasion of the switching on of the town’s Christmas lights. Joanna Lumley will be pressing the ‘button’. Next Wednesday we will be notified of what we are singing. It is a good opportunity to ‘sell’ ourselves.
We had a really good rehearsal tonight, listen to your music for any wobbly bits and we will sound really great on Saturday. Enjoy it!
Choir Notices 25 Oct 2017
· Thank you to everyone who was able to attend the Workshop on Saturday and especially Robert for his hard work. Also to those members who sang at the Civic Service on Sunday. Apparently some of us missed out on the invitation to tea afterwards.
· NEXT WEEK REHEARSAL IS IN THE CHURCH ON THE WATTON.
· Also please note that on the 8th November the rehearsal is in THE CHAPEL.
· There are 6 people required on the 11th. Two for selling and checking tickets; two for selling programmes; and two to act as stewards to show people to their seats. Maybe your spouse or partner would be prepared to help in this capacity. If you can help please contact a committee member.
· From now, we will rehearse complete movements so that we get the continuity of the work as a whole.
· The Grand Draw took place and all prizes will go to their owners.
· We were pleased to welcome visitors who are going to join us for the performance. Some have come some distance to be with us so please make them feel welcome as usual.
VOICE REHEARSAL What a great rehearsal last night...its really coming together now! And the voice rehearsals are a great help. Its wonderful that all the voices are getting together for part rehearsals. It is certainly paying dividends and Robert must be a happy man!! Please let me know if you want to list your rehearsal time and date here.
**No soprano rehearsal next week at Margaret's!!! **
Choir Notices 18/10/17
NEXT WEEK the Wednesday rehearsal will be at Christ College.
· The Extra rehearsal at the Watton Church this Saturday will commence at 2.00 until 5.00. The last 10 minutes will be practicing for the Service on Sunday.
· On Sunday please be at St. Mary’s Church by 1.00 for a run through with the organist. We would appreciate a few more voices, particularly sopranos. Usual choir uniform will be worn except men will wear suit and tie.
· Please return all Raffle tickets and stubs to Yolande next week.
· Yolande has now put the Rutter Day photos on the Members page on our website.
· Next week Robert will be rehearsing Movements 5, 6, and 7.
Choir Notices 11 Oct 2017
- Veronika presented Robert with a bottle of wine for his contribution to the wonderful Rutter Day (John Rutter and his accompanist received theirs on the day).
- Christmas Cheer on 20th December – this date is quite late to buy your Christmas presents, so any choir member who wishes to sell their goods can set up a stall in the foyer at break time from the beginning of December so members can buy gifts. There will also be stalls at St. David’s Church on the 20th.
- A contribution of £5 will be requested from each choir member attending the extra rehearsal at the Watton Church on 21stOctober from 2 – 5 p.m. This will help cover the hire cost of the Church, Robert’s fee and that of the accompanist. There will be no charge for the extra rehearsal in half term week, also at the Watton Church.
- Veronika apologised for the shortage of pink booklets, but she will have some on Friday when she is selling raffle tickets in the Market Hall if anyone wants to pick one up.
- Tickets for the Brahms are available from Ellie. They are also on sale at the Cathedral Shop, Ardent Gallery and on the door on concert night. Please be reminded that all cheques should now be made payable to Brecon Singers.
- The bonus ball was won by Yolande
Choir Notices 4 Oct 2017
- Veronika mentioned how wonderful the Rutter Day was last Saturday and thanked everyone who volunteered, she has received a lot of positive feedback. Veronika particularly thanked Yolande, Penny and John and Jane Neville for all their hard work.
- An extra Brahms rehearsal will take place on Saturday 21st October from 2 - 5 p.m. in the Watton Church. An extra 20 minutes at the end of the day will be used to rehearse the 4 hymns for the Civic Service the following day. We will also be singing ‘God Be in My Head’, please bring your copies, Nigel can get copies if you need one.
- Mayor’s Civic Service 2 pm on Sunday 22nd, black concert wear for ladies, gents white shirt, tie and dark suits.
- 1st November is half term week, Christ College will be closed, so an extra Brahms rehearsal has been arranged to be held in the Watton Church, usual time.
- Poppies to be worn at the Brahms Concert in the Cathedral on 11th November. Please organise your own poppy.
- Veronika was pleased to announce that Wyn has very kindly agreed to be our new Patron Secretary. Thank you so much Wyn.
- Tickets for our concert will be on sale from next week. They must be paid for when you pick them up.
- The raffle will be drawn at rehearsal on the 25th October.
- In readiness for next week, Robert would like us to look at all of No. 7, we will also be dipping in and out of other movements.
As discussed at rehearsal last week- we will have to know the Welsh for the National Anthem and Penny has kindly sent the words.
I hope those of you involved with yesterday enjoyed the day as much as I did. I think we all pulled together so well and became one big team, it all ran like silk, thanks to the enormous amount of work of preparation from Penny and Yolande and sheer management skills of the Chair and Committee in such a quiet manner.
By the way – the photos are good and show the whole day as it unravelled. Wonderful atmosphere!
Choir Notices 20/09/17
The bonus ball has been won by Logan, although he wasn’t at rehearsal to pick up his winnings.
Penny thanked everyone who has volunteered to help at the Rutter Day on the 30th September. However there are some gaps – volunteers still needed to help with the parking at Penmaes School, and another three volunteers needed to help with refreshments. Please contact Penny if you feel able to assist with either of these.
Robert has confirmed that we will be singing at the Mayor’s Civic Service on the 22nd October at St. Mary’s Church, and asked for a show of hands. The service starts at 2 p.m. We will be singing ‘God Be in My Head’ and accompanying the hymns. We need to be seated by 1.45 but will meet a little earlier for a quick rehearsal.
Veronika announced that sadly Martin Haworth has resigned from his post as Patron Secretary and from the choir. He has been with the choir for 34 years and will be greatly missed.
Robert confirmed that there will be an extra Brahms rehearsal on Saturday 21st October from 2 – 5 p.m. at the Presbyterian Church in the Watton. Please come along, even if you can only spare an hour.
Robert would like us to look at before next Wednesday's rehearsal. We will be rehearsing all of number 5, and number 2, from Allegro non troppo (9 after H) to end of movement.
Choir Notices 13 Sept 2017
Welcome to three new members tonight who we hope will stay with us, They are a soprano Marie-Jeanne Winstone, and two altos Simone ((Surname) and Sian Price.
We have been asked to sing at the Mayor’s Civic Service in St. Mary’s Church on 22 October at 14.00. Several members put their hands up to sing, it would be good if we could get one or two more to make a good sound to promote the choir, particularly tenors.
On 8th October at 2.30 there is a Messiah from Scratch in Holy Trinity Church, Brompton, London. This is to raise funds for the people who suffered in the Grenville Towers disaster.
Please follow Robert’s rehearsal schedule sent out last week so you can practice for next week. It will be all of No.7 and No.2 from the Allegro to letter H.
The Bonus ball has rolled over.
Last and by no means least. Veronika has invited us to help ourselves to her copious apple orchard, cookers and eaters, this coming Saturdaybetween 2.00 and 5.00 at 14 Cradoc Road, Brecon. She wants them to go to good homes!
You will be hearing from Sheila Norman next week who will take the notices. Thank
Choir Notices 6 Sept 2017
We have just had a super practice and here are the notices: Veronika thanked us all for such a successful ‘Jolly’ in the summer, particularly so because the raffle sales were sufficient to pay for the hire of the hall!
Regarding the Rutter Workshop:
The music will be supplied, and at the end of last term you were sent the list of items that we are singing.
The committee require volunteers to help with all the extraneous jobs to make it a successful occasion – PLEASE DO PUT YOUR NAMES DOWN when the list comes out. Many hands make light work and we will all enjoy the occasion. For example John Neville has requested at least 3 volunteers (preferably from those who aren’t singing) to help him between 10.45-11.30 on the 30th.
We are delighted that Wyn is now feeling much better, and expects to continue his hard work.
Nigel, our Librarian, has asked that we return next week, the large Madrigals Book which was leant to us last term, so they can be stored away in the library again. There are still some copies of the Peter’s Edition of the Brahms for purchase at £9.40.
Robert has asked that we look at Movement 4 and continue with Movement 6 for next week. He is sending me a copy of his full schedule for the remaining rehearsals which I will forward tomorrow. Please keep it safe and try and practice during the week.
Lastly: The Christmas Cheer Concert will be on the 20th December 2017, please put it in your diary...